DAY ONE: 3.5 hours
I started picking and collecting fonts from dafont.com I took a screenshot of each font and compare them visually, just to be sure that there won’t be two consecutive fonts that look like too similar to each other. I began to download the fonts from dafont.com and uploaded them to Google Drive so no matter which computer I work on to complete my project, all the fonts will be in the same place.
DAY TWO: 1.5 hours
I Googled the most popular sans-serif and serif fonts of 2016 to incorporate into the kinetic type video to have two simple fonts to use for the lyrics.
I researched the format, size and color requirements for uploading still images to After Effects, just to eliminate some possibilities of road blocks.
I began to make the still images for each image that the video will “flip through” first. The first step was to adjust the image size to be big enough to show on video but still meet the size restraints.
Then, I downloaded the font I wanted to use for the letter A from the folder I made on Google Drive and installed it into the computer so I could use that particular font in Photoshop.
Once the font for letter A was installed, I went back into Photoshop and selected the text tool to begin making the still frame for the letter A. I then made one where the font was left justified so that there would be room for the kinetic type to move across the screen.
When thinking about what colors to pick for each letter, I didn’t just want it to be arbitrary. So I consulted the color wheel, and tied it into my project so that by the time the video ran through the entire alphabet, viewers would be introduced to 26 new fonts and 26 colors from the color wheel.
When all these decisions had been made and I was happy with the text image, I saved the file as a JPG.
DAY THREE: 2 hours
I repeated the process for each letter of the alphabet. I was careful to make sure that all the fonts were just about in the same proportion to each other. A problem I started to run into was that I couldn’t make every font as big as i wanted to; some had size limitations. So I had to become okay with the fact that not every letter would be the absolute identical proportions. But since part of the fun of typography is mixing both font type and font size, hopefully it will add more to the character of the final project.
I wanted to stay true to strictly selecting colors only from the color wheel but wasn’t very good at selecting the colors by just eyeballing it. So I used this thing called an HTML Color Picker (which I found out about a while from Google). I used it to upload the photo to the color picker website, use an eyedropper to select the part of the image with the color I want to match, and then it will give me the color code that corresponds with that exact color. From there, I just copied and pasted the code into Photoshop when picking the color and then I was able to get a more vibrant and purposely chosen color.
DAY FOUR: 4.5 hours
I continued the process of downloading the fonts, orienting the fonts, picking the colors, and making 2 stills per each letter, and finally finished! At last I could get into the After Effects side of things.
DAY FOUR: 8 hours
I converted the Youtube clip of my song into an mp3, took the audio into Garage Band, and trimmed the song down to only include the short piece of it I wanted to use.
I opened Adobe After Effects and imported all of my JPG files.
I watched and read tutorials to begin to get a basic gist of After Effects tools and how to do Kinetic Typography With it. I learned the difference between Compositions, Layers, etc. and figured out which layers and animations had which function through basic trial and error.
I finally began the process of layering the letters and lyrics into After Effects and timing them to appear and disappear sinked up with the music. I got all of three letters in when I realized this process was way too time consuming and I would go way over the 15 hour parameters. I was about to panic when I realized I didn’t know where my project would go from here, until I Googled easier ways to do kinetic typography and realized you could do it all on Powerpoint!
I decided this would be the best route to go, as although it would still take some time, I would at least know how to navigate Powerpoint and the buttons I needed to press to get the desired effect.
And so began take 2! Kinetic Typography: Powerpoint Edition.
I started fresh by bringing each still image with each font into Powerpoint and created 26 slides.
I added the corresponding lyrics to each slide. I wanted to be sure to keep the font of the lyrics simple so as not to create too much for a viewer to look at. In choosing the colors for each emphasized word, I again consulted the color wheel and used the HTML color picker, this time choosing colors on opposite ends of the spectrum (eg., notice how green matches up with purple).
Now finally, I was getting to the animation part! First, I used the “Transitions” tab in Powerpoint’s toolbar to set up the slides to advance automatically in time and tune with the song.
I clicked on the “Animations” tab in the Powerpoint toolbar and began to plan to edit the movements of each text box to sync up in time with the song. I conducted quality control by playing it back and previewing it to make sure that the movements and animations occurred automatically instead of on the click.
To finish, I opened up QuickTime Player and used the screen capture feature to capture a video clip of the Powerpoint playing back. I imported that into iMovie, put the soundtrack in the background, and finally had my first ever completed kinetic typography project.
I DID IT GUYS, I DID IT! Major thanks to Princess Tiana for getting me through with her motivation in the style of belted Disney song (#AlmostThere), as well as Coding Spencer for the awesome title idea.
Here’s to not listening to A You’re Adorable for a long, long time to come.